360 Degree Feedback
What is 360 degree feedback?
Traditional 360 degree feedback, also known as multi-rater feedback or multi source feedback, are employee appraisals that gather anonymous performance information from various people who interact with the employee.
In basic terms, a 360 feedback survey is about gaining essential feedback on the way you work with all employees/stakeholders.
Those involved in 360 evaluations may include supervisors, top management, subordinates, peers, and representatives from other departments, clients and suppliers. In fact, anyone who has information on how the employee does the job could help provide a broader view of the employee’s performance.
A 360 review needs to be part of a larger strategy of supporting employees to grow and develop within the organisation. Research has shown that multi-rater feedback may help managers become more aware of valued and rewarded organisational behaviours1. In addition, recent studies suggest leaders who improved were more likely to see subsequent changes in employee attitudes2 3.
The results of these and other studies on multi source feedback imply positive outcomes for the organisation in terms of improved understanding of values and behaviours, job satisfaction and employee engagement, and reduced staff turnover. This is why we offer a more strategic approach to a 360 degree review to enable the organisation to track and link back the effectiveness of 360 evaluations.
Our approach to a 360 degree review?
We are different from other providers since we collect data with a strategic dimension for clients. As well as delivering professional, personalised and individual reports, we create benchmark reports for teams, departments, divisions and the organisation as a whole. This approach allows organisations to:
- Take advantage of underused personnel strengths to increase productivity;
- Avoid depending on skills that may be weak in the organisation;
- Apply human asset data to the valuation of the organisation;
- Improve succession planning;
- Design more efficient coaching and training initiatives;and
- Effectively market the skills of its members.
Why choose The Survey Initiative for multi source feedback?
We can deliver a bespoke 360 system for our clients, or work with an existing 360 review process or competency framework. We run, administer and support the entire process. We provide:
- Surveys that are intuitive and easy to complete;
- Live, real time, telephone and email support for the feedback recipients and raters;
- Automatic email reminders for raters;
- Surveys and reports that reflect your brand;
- Clear, professional and easy to understand workbook style reports;
- Targeted qualitative feedback (dependent on raters responses);
- Support facilitating the feedback to participants4;
- A fully branded system for consultants or for your company;
- Hosting on dedicated servers in a highly secure and reliable data centre.
We can work with organisations, consultancies and HR professionals to deliver a 360 degree feedback system that works for you. We will deliver a personal service for you with fully customisable survey content, question format and rating labels, invitations and reminders. We will support you throughout the feedback process and can provide assistance with setting up competencies through to facilitating feedback to individuals, as, when and where you need it.
Call us on 01255 850051 to find out how we can work with you on your 360 review process or use our web contact to contact us.
1. Bailey, C. Fletcher, C. (2002). The impact of multiple source feedback on management development: Findings from a longitudinal study. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 23: 853–867.
2. Atwater, L. Brett, J. Charles, A. (2007). Multisource feedback: Lessons learned and implications for practice. Human Resource Management, 46 (2): 285-307.
3. Atwater, L. Brett, J. (2006). 360-Degree feedback to leaders: Does it relate to changes in employee attitudes? Group and Organization Management, 31 (5): 578-600.
4. Brutus, S. Derayeh, M. (2002). Multi-source assessment programs in organizations: An insider’s perspective. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 13: 187–201.
The Survey Initiative were fantastic and helped us each step of the way. Gary is very knowledgeable and always at the end of the phone to personally answer any queries or concerns.
Suzi Byatt, HR, DANTE